Wondering what to look for; wondering, too,
When churches fall completely out of use
What we shall turn them into, if we shall keep
A few cathedrals chronically on show,
Their parchment, plate, and pyx in locked cases,
And let the rest rent-free to rain and sheep.
Shall we avoid them as unlucky places?

Philip Larkin





Welcome to St Andrew's

St Andrew’s church stands isolated in fields north of Wood Walton village, which is located three miles east of the A1(M) in northwest Cambridgeshire.

On the top of the hill, St Andrew's churchyard is a tranquil place.

Surrounded by fields, only the occasional passing train breaks the silence.

A brief history

Although the Domesday Survey of 1086 recorded a church in the parish of Wood Walton, there is no evidence this early building was on the site of the current church. Read more




2014 Events

Songs of Praise Service

Sunday 15th June at 3pm

Heritage Open Days Event

Saturday 13th September 2pm – 5pm and Sunday 14th September 2pm – 5pm (will include Harvest Festival Service starting at 3pm – 4pm)

Carol Service

Sunday 14th December at 2pm


Visitors arriving in Cambridgeshire using the A1(M) should leave the motorway at exit 15 and follow the B1043 to the B1090. Follow this road towards St Ives for approximately two miles before turning off to Wood Walton at Monks Wood. After entering Wood Walton underneath the railway viaduct, take the left fork in the centre of the village and follow the road north for approximately one mile where you will see the church on the left hand side of the road.

Click here to see a map of the area.